“Straight, Gay, or Lying” is dead and buried.
In 2005, the New York Times published an article with a catchy headline that sent waves through the LGBT world. Titled “Straight, Gay, or Lying,” the article reported on a study by researchers at Northwestern University that failed to find 50/50 arousal patterns in a specific sample of men. Of course there is no requirement for bisexuals to be attracted to men and women in exactly the same way. Of course showing men pornography and measuring their erections is an imperfect measure of sexuality at best. Of course one sample of men is not representative of all men. Unfortunately, none of those important details, details that the scientists themselves pointed out, spoke loudly enough to drown out the power of that sound bite. Such is the nature communication in our media-saturated world.
Biphobic gays and lesbians read the article and smugly felt their stereotypes and prejudices confirmed. Bi people read the story and felt further victimized by a scientific establishment with a long history of misunderstanding bisexuality. Bisexuals are by far the largest population with same-sex attraction and yet scientific studies of same-sex attraction typically approached the subject as if bisexuals were a rare anomaly or did not exist. Fortunately, good science doesn’t stop asking questions and gets things right in the end. The controversy over the study helped spur new research which found that – surprise! – bisexuality exists. It even exists in measurable forms.
Click here to see the results discussed in an excerpt from the documentary “By The Way”
In 2014, the New York Times finally published a retraction of sorts with a story titled “The Scientific Quest to Prove Bisexuality Exists” and featured it on the cover of their weekly magazine.
- A new halcyon era for bisexuality? It seems that every decade or so, a landmark article comes out that reflects the current Zeitgeist about bisexuality. In July 1995, Newsweek's cover declared: "Bisexuality. Not Gay. Not […]
- Is Bisexuality Spreading Like Wildfire? Is bisexuality spreading like wildfire across the United Kingdom? If aliens were to come to our planet and review the recent findings of YouGov, you could forgive them for thinking that. […]
- What the Pew Research Says about Bisexuals
The Pew Research Center is just analyzing a 2013 study of 1,200 LGBT adults and made some recent findings about bisexuals.
* Bisexuals are much less likely than gay men […]
- Nearly One-Fifth of British LGBT Troops Say They’re Bi The Ministry of Defence in the United Kingdom conducted their first audit of BLGT military by voluntarily asking them if they would identify their sexual persuasion. It turns out, of that […]
- World’s First BLGT Pride Parade Celebrates 45 Anniversary in June The LA Pride celebration and the world's first LGBT Pride Parade will take place this year June 12 through 14 in West Hollywood, Calif.
This June, the world's first Pride Parade, LA […]